Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Gila Monster's for Easter 2011

It was the day before Easter, and my son, his daughter, and I were standing on the brick patio in our yard. My granddaughter was riding on the rocking horse we have under the porch. Marshal, the poodle, was standing next to us. He growled a low growl and started walking toward an intruder. My son and I turned to see what he was inspecting. Just 5 feet behind us, a Gila monster was strolling across the bricks toward the house. Marshal walked up to look at it, and then, as if he has seen the lizard before, ignored it.

My son, Andy,  was able to take amazing photos.  How many times can a photographer get this angle? The lizard was on a retaining wall, and my son was able to look up at him to take a picture of his belly.  Look at this! How often can a photographer get a picture of the Indian corn design on the underside of a Gila monster without picking one up?

The next day, on Easter Sunday, I was looking for the Gila monster and found a different one. Both are 15” long. Mine had a fatter tail and a feminine design. I call her "Flower" because of the flower-beaded design on her side. Mine is prettier than Andy's is.


If these reptiles are seen again, the pictures will help us identify them. Now that we have documented them, we just need to name them. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Gila Monster seen Sat. before Easter 2011 - Andy's

The right side of the one seen Easter Sun. - Mine 
A picture of the full 15" of the one on Easter

No comments:

Post a Comment